Foodie Friday : Pumpkin Chili with Avocado Cream
Sorry for the absence of recipes the past few weeks… vacation took precedence! But today’s awesome recipe (well, 2 recipes actually!) should more than make up for it! Here’s a link to the original, and here’s the way I made it…
1 lb ground grass-fed beef
1 lb ground venison
1 medium yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, diced
1 ½ c canned pumpkin
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 (28 oz) can diced, fire roasted tomatoes
2 c fresh red tomatoes, chopped
2 c fresh green zebra tomatoes, chopped
1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies
1 c chicken or beef stock
salt and pepper
Chili Spice Mixture
2 T chili powder
2 T cumin
1 T paprika
2 t salt
2 t coriander
2 t cinnamon
2 t cocoa powder
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t cayenne
Orange & Coriander Avocado Cream
2 1/2 avocados
zest of 1 orange
juice of 2 oranges
1 t coriander
1/2 t salt
Putting it all together:
1) Brown the meat in a pan.
2) While the meat is cooking, mix up the chili spice mixture in a large bowl.
3) Scoop out the meat from the pan, leaving the grease in the pan, and put the meat into the spice mixture bowl. Mix it up.
4) Saute the onions and garlic in the pan with the grease. Add the squash once the onions are soft, and saute about 10 minutes.
5) Put all chili ingredients into a crockpot on high 4-5 hours.
6) For the avocado cream, put all of those ingredients in a blender and puree. Refrigerate with avocado pit until ready to serve.
7) When you’re ready to serve, top chili with avocado cream.